Welcome to the Heritage Boiler Association (Alberta). We are a group of steam enthusiasts from all over the Province of Alberta, and beyond. Corporately, we work closely with the Alberta Boilers Safety Association to provide certification and training services for operating heritage boilers. Individually, we like getting our hands dirty exhibiting and maintaining antique steam-driven tractors and equipment.
Here are a few steam events where HBAA members can get some experience towards the 100 hours required for a license, or to just have some fun honing their skills. For more information on any event, or to let us know of any other events that you think should be listed here, send us a note from the Contact page.
Note: All events are subject to change. Please confirm before you attend.
- June 24: Reynolds-Alberta Museum – two or three steam tractors operating.
- July 8,9: Pioneer Acres in Irricana will have their steam tractor operating.
- Various Dates (TBD): Heritage Park in Calgary will have their Waterous Steam Roller restored and operational.
- July 15,16: Pioneer Days at the South Peace Centennial Museum in Bearverlodge.
- August 4-6: Heritage Acres Annual Show in Pincher Creek.
- August 11-13: Pioneer Acres Annual Show. All boilers operating with some opportunity for practical experience, but their show is a very busy time.
- September 9,10: Pioneer Acres Steam and Stationary Engine Weekend. Steam tractor and vertical boiler will be operating.
- September 16,17: Heritage Acres Fall Show.
- September 23,24: Reynolds-Alberta Museum – three steam tractors operating.
- October 1: Machinery and Old Fashioned Day at the Camrose Museum in Camrose.
The HBAA has recently received permission from ABSA to perform re-certification practical testing for HBAA members that already hold a Special Steam-Powered Traction Engine Operator Certificate of Competency. Holders of that certificate are required to pass a practical examination every two years, which had to supervised by ABSA. Once our new Program For Practical Testing is in place, we will be able to perform that testing ourselves as a service to our members. Details of the program are still being worked out – we will post more information as we finalize the plans. In the meantime, the HBAA will still be working with ABSA to arrange for re-certification testing at various times and places throughout the year.